As we’ve discussed, certain vintage Levi’s will flatter particular body types. But how to tell when the jeans were made before investing the time to try them on? Here are a few guidelines:
- If the “E” on the red Levi’s tab on the back pocket has a big E, then it was made pre-1971.
- If the red tab has lettering on only the front, the jeans are pre-1955 (woo!)
- A single stitch rather than a chain stitch on the top of the back pockets, means the jeans were produced before 1976.
- If the inseam on the inside of the jeans shows selvedge (meaning you can see the end of the fabric, usually with a white edge and a red line), then the jeans are probably pre-80s.
- If the jeans have care tags, they were made post-70s
- If the inseam has single stitching, the jeans were made before the mid-80s (after that they’ll have a double stitch).
If all this is way too labor intensive, Levi’s currently makes designs that are reminiscent of the best vintage versions, and the sizing is way more predictable.[Photo via Heddles]
Beyond Yoga Foldover Sweatpants
See More Loeffler Randall
Buy Now at Shopbop
Buy Alpaca Pullover from Kelly Bergin
Cheap Monday Iliana Sweater
Norwegian Slub Dolman Top fashion