By Ann of Holier than Now
In this last week of 2011, what better to do than sit down in front of the old crystal ball (they make flat ones now, with web browsers installed) and take a playful look at what you might be loving this coming year! And with all those holiday gift cards burning a hole in your wallet, it never hurts to make a mental shopping list.
1. The Mama – We’ve seen high-waisted jeans in a bell bottom cut, but we’re moving slightly ahead on the vintage timeline to a straighter leg. It feels like something Jane Birkin would wear, and those bell bottoms were always covering up our shoes anyway! These MiH Club Monaco Cropped Jeans are getting close ($194) – alternatively, you can scour the thrift stores or consider easing into the look with a thinned-out version of a high-waisted flare, like these Citizen’s of Humanity Stevie’s 70s Jet Set Flare ($138.60 – were $198).
2. The Overall – I know this is hard to get your mind around, but I’m really feeling this! It’s so easy to wear, and I love the idea of pairing it with a chic shoe. Try Bec & Bridge’s Chambray Amelie Overalls ($66 – were $220).
3. The Scrubs – I believe this is a Stella McCartney creation, and it sure looks effortless, right? If you can only do one piece from this sleepover and/or O.R.-ready ensemble, I’d do the denim shirt. Here’s a great longer sleeve version by Vince ($225).
4. Sharp + Chic – I’m personally very happy to imagine a move away from heavy whiskering and studs towards cleaner and sleeker details, like this dipped bleach look. These Alexander McQueen graffiti print jeans ($415) are a great example of a sharper print.
5. New Fluidity – Can we brainstorm this? Is it a silk chambray? Or an ultra-light denim blended with some kind of silky synthetic? Whatever is it (or will be), I love the idea of a more drapey denim fabric for a blouse or a little denim dress. This MiH Cap Ferret chambray dress ($230) is a great starting point!
What denim looks are you dreaming of for 2012? What do you hope will just GO AWAY ALREADY!?