Denim Review: Graham & Spencer Collared Shift Dress

Muggy. Hot. Stifling.

These are the adjectives to describe New York City this week. We’ve had storms rolling in and out of town bringing thunder, lightening, ‘derecho’ winds and pounding rain. Things cleared up nicely this morning, but left behind an oppressive, heavy feeling in the air. I started sweating just thinking about putting on pants.

Enter this cool, breezy, insanely comfortable dress from Graham & Spencer. I was instantly attracted when I spotted it online amongst the selection of darling denim dresses, and knew I’d have to see how it could fit into my summer wardrobe.

The Denim

Like I said, so comfortable. The chambray is buttery soft, light-weight and a perfectly seasonable light blue wash.  The fabric is actually 88 percent tencel, which is a cellulose derivative and basically an artificial silk (which gives it a silky feel – natch). (The other 12 percent is cotton.)

The Fit

When I took this dress out of it’s packaging my first thought was, “Oh my goodness it’s gigantic!” Really, it’s not. It’s just quit a bit longer than I thought it would be. (I’m 5’6″)  The collared dress has a relaxed, shift fit that’s not too boxy. A lot of people would belt a dress like this, but I really enjoy the sleek, simple shape and easy of this kind of dress as-is. I do however get easily bothered by 2/4 length sleeves, so I rolled them up above my elbows.  The slanted patch pockets sort of remind me of an apron (in a good way) and are perfect for throwing in your cell phone and bank card and heading out for lunch.

Styling

Is it sort of lame that I become a little bit anti-accessories in the summer? I just feel like it’s too hot to layer on a bunch of heavy necklaces and bracelets. Because the dress nearly reaches my knees, I lengthened my legs as best I could with my super-tall wedges (last seen here and similar to these). To finish off this easy look, I just threw on a couple of dainty gold necklaces and two chunky bracelets.

[Image credit: Amanda Boyce]

Follow:

1 Comment

  1. September 21, 2012 / 11:09 pm

    I like this dress + how it was styled, but I feel like a belt might pull it together more. I saw some really nice woven silk belts over at Outfit Additions + they have a bunch of designs + colors. I also got my paws on a 15% off coupon code [FALL], so I think I’m going to order one. Enjoy your weekend!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *