I remember the days when I would cringe at the thought of anything that had the words high and waist attached to it. I’ve always been use to things comfortably sitting at my hip bones since… ever, really. It’s what was in style at the time – or at least in my younger years, it’s what I just gravitated towards.
However, in the last couple of seasons, the high waist has made a huge comeback in the form of nostalgia for decades past and the want to re-invent past styles that suit women and the current times.
I’m now a sucker for high waist everything, but more specifically high waist denim. The summer sun requires shorts and a high waist pair is just what the doctor ordered. I’ve started amassing quite the collection as of late… For example, the printed shorts I received in the mail from my little sister and a pair of regular dark wash denim shorts too that I can’t seem to remove. Here’s why, you too, should embrace a great pair of high waist denim if you haven’t already:
- Body Shaper: They act as a body shaper giving you a nice long and lean streamlined look from head to toe.
- Non-existent Muffin Top: Say goodbye to muffin tops – a high waist pant never fails to hide these.
- Cropped Tops: Notice the exploding myriad of cropped tops… They are perfect for pulling a high waist ensemble together.
- Bye, Bye Plumbers But: No longer do you have to worry about your undergarment of choice hanging out the back of your jeans when you sit down… Or, the even worse occurrence, plumbers butt.
- Slim Waist: We are women and, naturally, have pretty tiny mid sections which are otherwise hidden by baggy tops, but not with a high waist pair of denim. This will showcase your womanly figure with beauty and ease.
- Versatility: You always have the option of wearing a longer top with a high waist pair of denim and the best part about that is that extra material is like your own personal pair of spanx. A flowy top works best!
- Channel Your Inner Flower Child: The 70s were cool and even if you already enjoyed that decade thoroughly it can be a great throwback…
- 50s Sophisticate: If you’re not into the whole flower child thing, you can button up in a more classic, sophisticated way that’s reminiscent of the 50s.
- Mens Wear: Only my favorite kind of dressing. If you fancy, you can just dress tres chic in masculine attire and a high waist pair of denim will help to give you that extra buttoned up, slightly masculine look.
Are you sold on the high waist? Why or why not?
Shop Loeffler Randall Janis Resin Hoop Earrin...
Buy Honey Drop Earrings from BaubleBar
Cowl Neck Slip Dress With Slit
Keds New Season
Get the Look
Get the Look
Buy Tonal Stock Beanie from Stussy
Norse Projects on Sale
Buy Now at Shopbop