Caring for denim is one of those things everyone has an opinion about. That’s a good thing, it means that people are passionate about caring for their jeans! While caring for your jeans can seem a bit daunting when you hear stories about people who wash their jeans every six months, or dry clean them or freeze the bacteria out of them, I think it’s best to keep it simple. Personally, I haven’t reached that level of denim obsession yet. All it takes is following a few simple tips to help protect the wash and maintain the shape of your jeans. Proper care will give denim a longer life, enabling you to get more out of your investment.
- Read the care instructions on the inside tag of the jeans
- Turn them inside out before washing
- Wash in cold water on ‘delicates’ cycle or hand wash
- Dry clean (yeah, some people do this, especially for dark jeans)
- Dry flat or hang dry upside down
- Wash with Woolite or another gentle detergent
- If you have to dry them in the dryer, do it on the lowest heat setting
- Wash in hot water
- Dry them in the dryer
- Wash them after every wear
How do you care for your jeans?
Image by Samantha Jade Royds