Cuff & Roll: Six Ways to Roll Your Jeans

Rolling jeans has always been a very personal thing, people either love it or hate it. Some types of rolls make it to trend status, but these days jean rolling has become very post modern, do what you like, whatever feels right. There is no real science to rolling denim. It’s an intuitive process. Though, until I thought about all the different ways one can bring up the hemline of their denim, did I realize that there are so many ways to do it.

1. The Neat Cuff

What it is an how to do it: The Neat Cuff is one fold up, often pressed to maintain it’s crispness.
Types of jeans that work with it: Skinny jeans, cigarette cut jeans, straight leg
Wear it with: Flats, low heels

2. The Carefree Cuff

What it is an how to do it: Like the Neat Cuff, but more organic and free spirited
Types of jeans that work with it: Skinny jeans, skinny slouch,Β  straight leg, distressed jeans
Wear it with: Whimsical shoes, heels, statement pieces

3. The Classic Peg

What it is an how to do it: Before there were skinny jeans, there was the pegged jean. Fold your jean sideways so it’s tight around the ankle and then roll up.
Types of jeans that work with it: Boyfriend jeans, straight leg jeans, boot cut
Wear it with: Open toe booties, heels, sandals

4. The Pressed Cuff

What it is an how to do it: The Pressed Cuff is neatly folded twice to conceal the hem and pressed or sewn in place.
Types of jeans that work with it: Twill pants, lightweight denim, trouser cuff.
Wear it with: Statement heels, oxfords

5. The Messy Roll

What it is an how to do it: Imperfect beauty. The Messy Roll is an intuitive way to roll your jeans, for the tousled, relaxed look. Just roll and don’t think about it too much.
Types of jeans that work with it: Skinny, boyfriend, tattered jeans, cropped jeans
Wear it with: Flats, heels (the fancier the better the contrast), sandals, brogues

6. The Bubble Roll

What it is an how to do it: The Bubble Roll is a true roll, take the hem and literally roll the denim up.
Types of jeans that work with it: Skinny, Cropped (it has to be somewhat tight to maintain the roll)
Wear it with: Low heels, flats, sandals

54 Comments

1. July 21, 2010 / 9:38 am

Cool Tips! I need to try these cuff and roll with my jeans.

2. July 21, 2010 / 10:03 am

I must try this peg roll. Can’t believe I’ve never used it!

3. July 21, 2010 / 10:18 am

i just had a hardcore 80s flashback. thanks for that. (and for dropping by and commenting on our blog!)
    please excuse me while i go manipulate some faded 501s.

x

4. July 21, 2010 / 10:47 am

Ahhh, what a great blog post!! I’ve only recently perfected the classic peg. Excellent choice of shoes to go with each too!

5. July 21, 2010 / 12:46 pm

These shoes are adorable!^^

6. July 21, 2010 / 1:18 pm

This is a brilliant post! I really love it! It helped me a lot actually πŸ™‚

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love yours!

7. July 21, 2010 / 1:40 pm

omg,awesome photosβ™₯

8. July 21, 2010 / 2:14 pm

great post! fabulous shoes!!!

9. July 21, 2010 / 2:24 pm

Great ideas!

10. July 21, 2010 / 3:27 pm

I am so trying all of these! Not only do the cuffs and rolls look adorable, but your shoes are so great. Thanks for the awesome tips!

xx Laura

11. July 21, 2010 / 3:29 pm

I’m digging your carefree cuff…can’t get into the peg! Tried, but no can do. Looks awesome on you though πŸ™‚

xo,
    carrie

12. July 21, 2010 / 4:14 pm

i’ve been a fan of rolling the hem of my jeans since high school (perfect for when you outgrow your pants). this post is fantastic!!

13. July 21, 2010 / 4:27 pm

I love this post– so creative and quirky. You also have a great collection of shoes.

On another note, you are really pretty! πŸ™‚

Have a great day!
    Jen

14. July 21, 2010 / 5:30 pm

Love this! Great inspiration, too. I tend to stick to the “messy roll” with trousers and the “carefree cuff” with jeans but will definitely do a little breaking out of my norm πŸ™‚

15. July 21, 2010 / 7:41 pm

jennine i must have fallen off the face of this blogging earth – i never knew you had this blog. haha! you’re too cute!!

my fav is the “classic peg” as you put it.

of course, it’s also been a while since i’ve worn jeans. i hate my body shape *rolls eyes*. i think i just really need to sew a pair myself!

16. July 21, 2010 / 9:20 pm

I’m a ‘carefree cuff’ girl myself but this post opened my eyes to a few new ones like the ‘bubble roll.’ Love these names! ha πŸ˜‰

17. July 22, 2010 / 1:12 am

Now this is something I’d have never thought about! Thanks for sharing!
    I’m currently into the classic peg, as I basically live in my boyfriend jeans these days, can’t remember when was the last time I loved a pair of trousers this much! πŸ˜€

xoxo

18. July 22, 2010 / 2:25 am

I am definitely a fan of rolling my jeans – my favourite is your carefree style! πŸ™‚ It is a fab!

19. July 22, 2010 / 6:05 am

It’s so funny how this all looks so modern again. Great post!

20. July 22, 2010 / 6:06 am

Hey girl!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment. I can’t stop looking at the second photo. It’s so adorable. I love those shoes. Where did you find them?

Take care<3

XOXO

Pika

21. July 22, 2010 / 5:47 pm

Fun tutorial. Bet it was fun to plan and shoot. Well done.

22. July 24, 2010 / 3:59 am

What a great blog-especially this post! I’m so unimaginative with the few pairs of jeans I own, but I’ll definitely be trying some of these rolls out. Thanks for your comment πŸ™‚ xoxo

23. August 1, 2010 / 2:05 pm

This is an awesome guide!

24. August 3, 2010 / 10:43 am

Great post, haven’t seen anything like it! I think the main reason why people cuff their jeans is to show off their shoes? That’s the best reason I can think of. Cuffing cropped pants or jeans is a great way to make them modern (when crops are momentarily out-of-trend).

25. August 4, 2010 / 7:54 am

Jennine my darling!! I love this post!! πŸ˜€
    You just saved me from wearing boring and as-usual jeans!! And the shoes you used are adorable!! All of them! The care free cuff is the one for me… and those shoes too!! hahaha I want those!!! πŸ˜€

26. February 17, 2011 / 8:00 pm

This post is great! But the shoes…..can we get a post on where all those amazing shoes are from????

27. April 4, 2011 / 9:05 am

OMG I LOVE your shoes in the carefree cuff photo, where did you get them?!!! Awesome post btw, personally I go for the messy roll myself but you’ve given me some good ideas now!

28. widya
    November 25, 2012 / 12:47 pm

is it cool if I roll up my skinny jeans (messy or buble) and pair it with high-top converse?

29. Renee
    January 10, 2013 / 11:27 pm

The pegged jean look?

HOW do I fold my jeans so they look like that. I turned them to the side so the seam was facing me. I rolled and still did not get the same look.

I love this look of the ‘pegged’ look. PLEASE, someone write back to me so I know how to create the pegged look. I would so appreciate it!

30. renee
    January 16, 2013 / 11:52 pm

I finally figured how to to do the ‘peg roll’ on my jeans.
    When it dawned on me, it seem so obvious and simple. I had made it much more complimented.

I love the look and can now wear it, too!

great place to come here

31. February 13, 2014 / 5:06 pm

All of your shoes in this post are lovely, I particularly love the grey wedges with the large bows, the black booties and the grey heels in the ‘pressed cuff’ pic, great 80’s flashback with nice mix of vintage/modern shoes to match πŸ™‚